Recently I’ve been playing around with what I like to call “SUPER BUTTERS”. They are nut butters with enhanced benefits, therefore making them SUPER! Nut butters whether it be almond, cashew, macadamia, pecan, are my favorite! I put them on top of coconut yogurt bowls and cauliflower rice bowls, in smoothies, dip sweet potatoes or carrots in them, on gluten-free toast, or just right off the spoon. They are just so freaking good! I mean…I shouldn’t even be calling this super butter. More like delicious, indulgent, bomb.com strawberry icing. Beware this strawberry maca cashew butter is addicting! Cashew butter has recently been my favorite due to how creamy and rich of a taste it has. The sad part is, cashew butter can be super expensive in the store so I’ve been making it at home the past few months and LOVING it! It’s so easy, fresh, and less expensive!
So let’s talk about the benefits of my Strawberry Maca Cashew Butter because you know I can never share a recipe without discussing the benefits first! That’s the most important part! This isn’t just any ol’ cashew butter…this is SUPER BUTTER!
BENEFITS OF CASHEWS
- supports healthy brain function
- helps to balance your mood
- promotes healthy aging
- aids in decreasing anxiety and depression
- helps prevent migraine headaches
- makes your skin glow
- aids in weight loss
- lowers risk of diabetes
- helps to prevent colon, prostate, and liver cancers
- helps maintain strong bones
- fights heart disease by lowering LDL (bad cholesterol) and improving HDL (good cholesterol)
- contains protein, fiber, fat, copper, magnesium, phosphorus, zinc, manganese, vitamin K, iron, folate
It’s important to note that when purchasing cashews look for raw cashews with the second best option being “dry roasted”. You should be avoiding cashews that mixed with vegetables oils, sugar, and other artificial additives. Vegetable oils and usually hydrogenated oils and are rancid, meaning they are processed with high heat and pressure that destroy antioxidants and change the chemical nature of the fat. This creates dangerous cancer causing free radicals. The oils are extracted and mixed with metal particles and treated with hydrogen gas, then emulsifiers are added, and then steam cleaned to remove the rancid odors. After, it is bleaches and artificial dyes and flavorings are added. Examples of these include: canola, soybean, cottonseed, and safflower oil. These oils are linked to cancer, birth defects, digestive disorders, heart disease, bone problems, learning disabilities, obesity, increased bad cholesterol, skin reactions, and reduced vision. Most pre made trail mixes contain these oils, so it’s something to look out for! Check any nut butter or nut mixes for these oils before you purchase.
BENEFITS OF MACA POWDER
- reduces stress, depression, and anxiety
- naturally balances hormones
- boosts your immune system
- increases energy and stamina
- improves memory and focus
- helps to stabilize blood sugar levels
- boosts your mood
- increases fertility
- considered a very potent aphrodisiac
STRAWBERRY MACA CASHEW BUTTER
A Mood and Energy Boosting Super Butter
- 2 cups raw cashews (soaked in water for at least 2 hours or overnight first)
- 2 tablespoons of maca powder
- 5-7 strawberries
- pinch of sea salt
- high speed blender: I recommend Vitamix, Blendtec, or Ninja
Add soaked cashews to high speed blender and blend on low for 8-10 minutes, increasing the speed slowly until creamy. You may need to scrape down the sides with a spatula as you go. Don’t stress when it turns into a powder and then a thick dough, as you continue to blend the cashews, the oils eventually release and it becomes creamy. (DO NOT add water, if you do need to add something add coconut oil) When it has reached your desired creamy-ness, add the salt, maca powder, and strawberries. Blend for another 20-40 seconds. Transfer to an airtight container or jar and store in the refrigerator.
If you make this be sure to tag me in it and #kcsuperbutters I LOVE to see what you guys create!