I have been wanting to write this post for a while.
It’s a very sensitive subject because well…people are seriously, seriously attached to bread and pasta. Like real deal obsessed. Try taking pasta, pizza, or a sandwich away from someone and watch them snap.
When I tell someone I have Celiac Disease, a disease in which the small intestine is hypersensitive to gluten, leading to difficulty in digesting food (gluten is found in wheat) many people respond “Oh I would just die without pizza and pasta”. That’s literally what people say to me! All the time. And I get it, people have their favorite foods, but people have these strong emotional attachments to the food. A lot of the food people are attached to contain wheat.
What Is Wheat?
The Difference Between Wheat & Gluten:
Now, gluten and wheat are often used interchangeably, so in the simplest of terms, here is the difference:
Wheat is a type of grain that is often used to make bread, pasta and flour. Gluten is a protein found within wheat, as well as barley and rye.
In essence, all wheat contains gluten, but gluten can come from grains other than wheat. If you are on a gluten-free diet, you are essentially also on a wheat-free diet, but a wheat-free diet can still contain foods with gluten. Make sense? (source)
Make sense? Okay let’s move on.
We have been told for years to eat more whole grains and whole wheat, get rid of the white bread. It was marketed, advertised, and we were literally convinced one of the healthiest changes you could make was to switch from white bread to whole wheat bread. Right? WRONG!
The wheat we are eating today is not the same original strands of wheat that people ate a long time ago. It is genetically modified. Genetically modified means (of an organism or crop) containing genetic material that has been artificially altered so as to produce a desired characteristic. and it is a very, very low quality food. So many people are having allergic reactions and gluten sensitivity by exposing yourself to this food.
How Wheat Is Poisoning Your Body
Now ready for the real scary part?
Wheat contains something called Lectins. Now WTF are lectins?
Lectins are a form of protein found in nearly all plants and animals. They bind to the sugar molecules called polysaccharides that cover the surface of most cells in your body. There are countless varieties of lectins in nature, and we have used them for more than 100 years in medical testing laboratories because they stick to red blood cells very effectively. (source)
In this post we are focusing on the lectins found in wheat. Keeping it simple.
The lectins found in wheat bore holes in your small intestine.
Yup, they literally bore holes in your small intestine. And FYI if you forget what your small intestine does…it’s pretty damn important. Your small intestine is where 90% of the digestion and absorption of food occurs. Also, its main function is to absorb nutrients and minerals from food.
They bore their way into the small intestine, get into your system as a complete protein structure. That in turn sets off an immune response. That immune response can be turned into an autoimmune conditions. Such as Celiac Disease. The reason for that is your small intestine is now damaged from consuming these lectins, it now allows for other proteins to get into your system. This leads to you having food sensitivities you have never had in your life. You are like wtf is going on with me? And it all stems back to wheat bread, wheat pasta….
Researchers speculate that many apparent causes of bacterial food poisoning may actually be lectin poisoning.
Lectins also cause leaky gut. While they bore holes in your small intestine, they also damage the lining of your gut. In case you don’t know what your gut does: Your gut (gastrointestinal system) plays a key role in your natural immunity to diseases. It’s literally referred to as “the second brain” because of its extreme importance in your body. It is responsible for the critical functions of your body’s digestive and immune systems including the ability to eliminate toxins, hormone regulation, vitamin production, and mineral absorption. When the lining of your gut is destroyed, it again allows proteins to enter your bloodstream and tells your immune system to attack other parts of the body.
Wheww that’s pretty intense!
Let’s continue. Now I’m going to bring phytates into the picture.
Phytates are anti-nutrient compounds found in whole grains (wheat) that actually bind to nutrients in your own body, and block the absorption of nutrients. Read that again. Seriously it is so important! They block the absorption of nutrients such as iron, zinc, magnesium, and calcium into your body! So all of that money you are spending on vitamins and minerals, your whole wheat sandwich just blocked a majority of those nutrients from even absorbing and being affective. Or that side salad you got with your pasta, what’s the point? Your body won’t even get the benefits.
Recap And A Few More Dangers About Wheat…
- The wheat not is not the same as it used to be, it is incredibly genetically modified now (artificially altered aka not real!)
- Gladin is a component of wheat gluten. It causes rapid inflammation and autoimmune conditions
- Wheat contains lectins that bore holes in your small intestine that sets off an immune response and leads to other food sensitivities
- Lectins also causes leaky gut which can lead to foreign substances leaking into your bloodstream and causes diseases and disorders
- Wheat contains phytates which block the absorption of nutrients into your body.
- Wheat has more of a glycemic load and impact on your blood sugar than eating straight tablespoon of sugar.
- Alloxan is added to wheat to make it white bread. When studies are being done to cure diabetes, you have to give the rats diabetes. So how do they do that? They feed the rats Alloxan to give them diabetes. Which is then added to your bread.
- Wheat bread is directly linked to heart disease, high cholesterol, cancer, diabetes, ADD, ADHD…
What Foods Contain Wheat?
Most people know the obvious wheat products: wheat bread, pasta, pastries, etc. But what about the not so obvious products containing wheat? Wheat is used as a cheap filler, and is put in foods and products where it has no business being in. So don’t laugh when you see fruit chews labeled “gluten and wheat free”, because there are companies that will put it in strange items to save on costs. My number one tip is always check the ingredients for yourself. Most of the time you will see in bold print under the ingredients “May contain wheat”. To give you some insight, here are some products that I have personally seen wheat listed in the ingredients.
Foods that companies sneak wheat into:
- soy sauce
- salad dressings
- veggie burgers
- potato chips
- protein powder
- face wash & face lotion
- vitamin supplements
- bouillon cubes
- barbecue sauce
- jarred pickles
- baking powder
- flour and anything containing flour
Crazy right? Always check the ingredients!!
Cereal for breakfast, sandwich for lunch, pasta for dinner…think about how much wheat you just had! Not just one food but for every meal.
So just to be clear, I am not telling anyone how or what to eat. But if you are trying to improve your overall health, lose weight, be health conscious, that’s what I’m here for!! I don’t judge for what other people choose to eat. I believe everyone should be able to make their own educated decisions, and in order to do that, you need to know what you are consuming and the effects it has.
Now that I just bashed on wheat, let me share what you can replace it with!
Wheat Replacements (also gluten-free)
Because I can’t pose a major issue without providing a solution! Luckily with the increase in knowledge about the dangers of wheat and gluten, there has been many healthy alternatives. If you want to see a lot of real time recommendations on products I am constantly cooking with, follow me on snapchat (kay_bush)!
- New Grains Bread (So soft and one of my favs!!) Full website here.
- Udi’s Gluten-free bread
- Wraps- Julian Bakery Paleo Wraps, plain flavor here
- There are tons of options for affordable gluten free bread options on Thrive Market! Honestly if you want to eat healthy at a more affordable cost, do it on Thrive! They have high quality healthy and natural products at 25%-50% below retail. They take out the middleman and retail markup. You can sign up here.
- Banza– chickpea pasta (my favorite!!)
- Lentil Pasta (my favorite here– lasts me 6 meals)
- Brown Rice Pasta – good brand here
- Trader Joe’s has some great options too!
- Nut-Thins (are the bomb!!!) you can find them here, most grocery stores, or even cheaper here on Thrive! They come in so many flavors and they are deeelish
- Rice Crackers- these ones are great!
- Trader Joe’s & Sprouts carry some great brands!
I want to know your thoughts on this post. Did you know this, was it new information? Did it surprise you?
For more daily healthy tips, recipes, and workouts follow me on snapchat (kay_bush)